Keynote is a popular application for the Mac used to create and deliver presentations, and is an alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint. IS&T does not purchase or distribute licenses of this software, and Keynote is only sold through the Mac App Store on OS X 10.7.4 or later. Keynote '09 currently retails for $19.99 in the U.S. App Store. Please note that IS&T does not support Keynote - for questions and issues please refer to Apple's Keynote support page.
Keynote '09 requires:
- OS X 10.7.4 or later (and OS X 10.8 or later for certain features, including iCloud integration and support for Dictation).
- 325 MB of disk space.
- Open the App Store by selecting the Apple menu > App Store... or by navigating to Applications and double-clicking on App Store.
- Make sure you are signed in to the Mac App Store with your Apple ID by selecting the Store menu. If you are already signed in, this menu will list the "Sign Out" option. If this option is not listed, select Sign In.... Type your Apple ID username and password and click the Sign In button on the bottom-right. If you do not have an Apple ID, click the Create Apple ID button on the bottom-left and walk through the steps you are presented with in order to create your Apple ID and log into the App Store.
- Search for "keynote" from the search field at the top right and select the first result. Alternately, click this link and click View in Mac App Store.
- Near the top of the Keynote '09 page, click the button with a price on it ($19.99). This button will then turn into a Buy App button in order to confirm your purchase. Click this button again to begin the download and installation of Keynote. You can monitor the progress for the download and installation of Keynote in LaunchPad, the Applications folder, or in the App Store under the Purchases tab.
- Once Keynote has been installed, you can open Keynote from LaunchPad or from your Applications folder.
|If you installed Keynote '09 using the original DVD install media (not via the App Store) and you are prompted to register iWork '09, you can choose to fill out your name, email address, and country and select Continue or select Register Later. If you opt to select Register Later, you will be prompted two more times to register and on the third prompt you can select Never Register to remove the registration notification. This registration is optional and does not affect the use of this software.|
- When you launch Keynote for the first time, you will see a one-time "Welcome to Keynote" window displaying a Getting Started video and offering a link to Apple's video tutorials for the software. When you are finished reviewing this information, select the Close button.
- If you are logged into an iCloud account on your Mac running OS X 10.8 or later, you will first see a window prompting you to choose whether you want to open or create a Keynote document in iCloud or on your Mac. Select the location of your choice at the top-left, either iCloud or On My Mac, and click New Document.
- The Theme Chooser will open. Select the theme of your choice and select your preferred resolution from the Slide Size chooser, and then select the Choose button.
- Your new Keynote presentation will open, ready for editing.