On this page:
- Administrator account access
- System requirements for VMWare Fusion 8 Pro
Quit VMware Fusion if it is currently open on your machine.
- Download VMware Fusion 8 Pro from IS&T's downloads website (certificates required). Please note the license key in the download since you will need it once you launch VMware Fusion for the first time.
- Locate and open the downloaded file named "VMware-Fusion-8.0.0-2985594.dmg".
- A disk image named "VMware Fusion" should now be mounted in OS X. Double-click on the VMware Fusion icon to begin the installation process.
Note: If you are prompted with a message asking if you are sure you want to open the application, click Open.
- Enter your administrator username and password if prompted, and click OK.
Result: VMware Fusion 8 Pro will be copied to the Applications folder.
- VMware Fusion 8 Pro is now installed and can be found in the Applications folder. Double-click the application icon for VMware Fusion.
- Once VMware Fusion launches, you will be prompted to accept the application's Software License Agreement. Click Agree.
- You will be prompted to input the IS&T-provided license key, as noted in step 1. Type in the license key and click OK.
Virtual machines will be prompted to upgrade to the Fusion 8 compatible hardware version on startup. Select upgrade to begin the upgrade, you may notice the Virtual Machine upgrading VMWare Tools once it boots to the desktop. Note that you will not be able to run this virtual machine in an older version of VMware Fusion (older than 8) with this change enabled.
Boot up your VM and log back into your user account. You have now successfully updated your virtual machine.