On this page:
- This guide will assist with the installation of the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and 10.9 (Mavericks).
- You need administrator level account access to install this software.
- Note: Some screen shots may be slightly different from what you see depending on the version of your operating system and the VPN software.
- Download the VPN installer from MIT's download page, Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for MAC (certificates required).
- Find and open the downloaded file.
- The file will mount a disk image. Open this disk image and launch the file named "anyconnect-macosx-XXXXXX".
- On the following screen titled Welcome to the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Installer, click Continue.
- When presented with the software license agreement, click Continue then click Agree on the slide-down menu.
- If you are prompted "Select a Destination...", select your primary hard drive and click Continue.
- On the window titled Standard Install..., click the button labeled Install and enter your computer username and password when prompted and click Install Software.
Note: The user must be an administrator of the machine to install.
Result: The VPN client will begin to install itself.
- When the installation has competed, click the button labeled Close.
- Cisco AnyConnect can be found in the Cisco folder located in the Applications folder (/Applications/Cisco/).
- Navigate to /Applications/Cisco/ and open "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client".
- In the "Connect to:" field, enter vpn.mit.edu and click the button labeled Connect.
To authenticate with Duo at the same time, enter vpn.mit.edu/duo and click the button labeled Connect.
- Enter your MIT username and password then click the button labeled OK.
With Duo authentication, you will see a field asking for a Second Password.
In this field you may type in one of the following options:
- push - Duo will send a push notification to your registered cell phone with the Duo Security mobile app installed
- push2 - Duo will send a push notification to your _second registered device with the Duo Security mobile app installed_
- sms - Duo will send an SMS to your registered cell phone
- Phone -Duo will call your registered phone
- Phone2 -Duo will call your second registered phone
- Yubikey - If you are using a Yubikey for authentication, make sure the Second Password field is highlighted and use your key. For instructions on using the Yubikey, please see How do I authenticate with a YubiKey?
- The one time code generated by your hardware token or the Duo Security mobile app (the code changes every 60 seconds)
In this example, I entered "push" in the Second Password field. I will receive a push notification on my cell phone, go to the Duo app and click Approve.
- When prompted at the MIT's Virtual Private Network (VPN) screen, click the button labeled Accept to connect to MIT's Virtual Private Network.
- Upon successful connection, Cisco AnyConnect will minimize itself and you will see the AnyConnect logo with a small lock in your menu bar just to the left of the time.