NOTE: Installing the MIT Personal Certificate is only one of the steps needed to successfully access MIT certificate-protected pages. See: [archive:Installing and Renewing Certificates in Firefox]
- Navigate, in Firefox, to http://ca.mit.edu.
- Enter your Kerberos username and password, and your MIT identification number, and click Next.
- On the page Generate a Private Key, leave the Key Size at the highest grade for your browser. The Certificate Lifetime gives the default number of days until this personal certificate expires. Click Next to accept the defaults.
Result: The message "Key Generation in progress ..." appears.
- An Alert message confirms that the certificate has been installed, and instructs the user to backup the personal certificate.
Note: It is not necessary to backup your personal certificate. If you do wish to backup your personal certificates locally, in Firefox go to Preferences/Options > Advanced > View Certificates, click Backup All, and follow the instructions.
- Your certificate is now installed.
- If this is your first time installing certs on Firefox, you also need to install the MIT Certificate Authority. The web installer will prompt you to install it by clicking a link.
From here, choose MIT to "trust this CA to identify websites"
And you are good to go.