MIT G-Suite for Education Landing Page
- G Suite for Education is a service provided by Google that allows members of an educational institution or business to collaborate with each other, separate from their personal Google accounts. G Suite for Education offers a subset of Google apps and services to registered users. Suite for Education is available to current students, faculty, staff and affiliates. Alumni are not eligible for an account.
In the case of the MIT G Suite, available apps are:
NOTE: Gmail, YouTube and Google Groups are not provided as part of the MIT G Suite package.
Google Apps are available to current students, faculty, staff and affiliates. Alumni are not eligible.
- Custom searches
- Switching from Dropbox to Drive
- Using Drive File Stream to store files on your desktop (Mac and Win only).
- Takeout - a tool that allows you to package most files from Drive and save as a .zip file to store on an external device or mechanism of your choice.
- Shared Drives
- Shared drives are available by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your request: 1) what you'd like the name of the shared drive to be, and 2) who should be initially granted owner-level access for the drive.
How do I Sign up for a G Suite account
G Suite for Education is a Google service that allows members of the MIT community to collaborate with each other, separate from their personal Google accounts. It is provided free of charge upon request;
Your MIT email address will be used as your MIT G Suite username.
- To request an account, please fill the G-Suite request form here: G Suite for Education Request Form (Touchstone login required)
- To reset your password if you've forgotten it, please contact the G Suite support team
Note: You will not be able to use your MIT email address as a username for a personal Google account once it is registered in MIT G Suite.
- Until MIT finishes integration work with the on-campus directory and authentication services such as single sign on (SSO), your account needs to be manually created by the Administration team. If you would like us to create an MIT G Suite account for you to use, or if you need additional assistance, please send email to, email@example.com from your MIT email address.
For Service Desk Analysts: if a customer is inquiring about a Google G Suite account, refer to the [MIT G Suite for Education Recon] page.
Accessibility to users with disabilities
Google Apps do not include all the accessibility features required to allow some users with disabilities to easily collaborate. While Google Accessibility is working to improve the user experience, we do not currently recommend Google apps be used for study or work group collaborative tasks as doing so may exclude the participation of some.
Google provides documentation on the accessibility features they have included in their apps and the IS&T Accessibility team is available for questions regarding accessible alternatives or workarounds
Common questions and resources
- What happens to my G Suite account when I leave MIT?
- Can I export my G Suite account to my Personal Account?
- No, exporting a G suite account to a personal account is not supported.
- What is my storage limitation?
- Linux clients need to use Chrome or another browser to utilize G Suite.
Downloading the Google drive App on a computer.
Go to https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive and sign into g-suite. Then Click on the Download link in the lower left corner of the machine. Please look for the following image.
Apr 26, 2019
There is now a form for requesting G-suite accounts that you can log into touchstone! https://ist.mit.edu/g-suite/request
KB Updated: April 26 2019
May 03, 2019
Deb Bowser- 5/3/19:
This page redirects to the Landing page but is listed within the index,
so it looks like there are 2 entries for landing pages.
The G Suite for Education page (I had requested to be deep archived) was the initial landing page and had created a newer one [http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/x/ZQDhC|../../../../../../../../../../x/ZQDhC]