On this page:
You can send your MIT email to another account one of two ways.
- Forward - sends your mail to another address you specify.
- Split - sends mail to another address you specify and keeps a copy in your MIT email account.
You will need to maintain both accounts or risk going over quota and causing your email to bounce from the account that has gone over quota.
The instructions below explain how to forward, split or undo forwarding/splitting via a simple web interface. For more advanced options, see: How can I forward my MIT email to another email address?
Use SIPB's Mailto Web Application to Set Up Email Forwarding or Splitting
|The Mailto Web Application is not an IS&T Supported service. If it breaks, IS&T is unable to take any direct action to fix it beyond reporting the outage. Contact SIPB at firstname.lastname@example.org to report any outages, issues or feedback.|
To setup forwarding:
- Navigate to the web app at https://mailto.mit.edu
- Click the "Login with WebAthena" button
- Enter your Kerberos username and password, and click login
Result: You will be prompted to allow WebAthena access to learn your email and modify your settings.
- Click Allow to get your WebAthena ticket and login
- If you want to forward all of your mail to a non-MIT.EDU address (for example, if you want to get all your MIT mail sent to your MEDIA.MIT.EDU, aol.com, or gmail.com address instead), just enter it in the box and update.
Result: Your changes will be displayed and mail should begin forwarding within a minute.
It may take a minute or two for the forwarding to take effect - longer if there are a number of other people making changes at the same time. In the meantime, you should continue checking your MIT email account.
|Carefully check your email address|
The application does not actually check to see if the address you specify exists or is correct, only if it is entered in a correct format of username@hostname. If there is no such mailing address, you will not receive mail, and any mail sent to you will be bounced back to the original sender.
If you wish to SPLIT your email (keep a copy of your mail in your MIT account and send a copy elsewhere):
- Click on the word "Instead"
Result: "Instead will change to "In addition"
- Enter your email address to split to and click update
Result: You will be presented with your changes
These instructions use SIPB's Mailto web application
After you have successfully logged in (see details above), you can click the "Restore default settings" link at the bottom of the page.
Result: Your mail will be unforwarded/unsplit.
Login to SIPB's Mailto web application application (see details above). The login screen will inform you of your current mail forwarding status.
- How do I contact MIT Kerberos Accounts?
- How can I forward my MIT email to another email address?
- Email at MIT: Forwarding Your Email
- If you receive an error message logging into mailto.mit.edu that says: Cross-realm is not supported! please try logging in with your Kerberos username without the @mit.edu.