- To begin a new appointment, click on Create New in the navigation bar. Or, from search results, click the More button to the left of a student's MIT ID and select New appointment for student
- The course will default to your department; if you have authorization to create in more than one department, use the drop-down to change it. Select the type of appointment. If this will be an off-campus RA appointment, check the box for Off campus. Select the Aid Year and Period; the dates will automatically default to the start and end dates of the term, but you may manually override these dates if this will not be a full-term appointment. Click Continue.
- If you started from a search for a student in step 1, skip this step. Otherwise, begin typing the student’s name or MIT ID in Select student field; when you see the student, select them from the list. The student’s information will then display below the appointment details.
Only students eligible for the term selected will be in the selection list. To find all students, use Search
- In the Appointment Data Summary section, you will see assessed and awarded amounts for this student. Enter the values for this appointment in the Appointment amount (for term) line. (See Appointment Summary Data below for more details.) The Level of effort will be calculated automatically based on the values you entered, but may be manually edited by clicking the Edit link.
Reasonable Compensation Rule: If you see this message, the Reasonable Compensation Rule has been applied, and a Student Payback Amount amount will be listed. See this article for more information.
- Enter the cost object(s) in the Distributions section. (If you have default COs set up, there may be values in this section already). Click +Add distribution line to add cost objects as needed, or click the X at the end of any line to delete it. Make adjustments to the percentages as needed. If you need assistance figuring out a percentage, click the question mark icon next to the Distribution column heading. When finished entering cost objects, click Continue.
For RA appointments, the CO you enter for Salary/Stipend will automatically copy down as a distribution line for Tuition, split with the Provost Subsidy. For RA appointments, the Provost subsidies for Tuition and Insurance (if entered) will be calculated automatically. For Fellowships, you will need to enter the provost subsidy manually.
- Notification and message options will appear.
- Research/Academic Advisor(s)/Supervisor(s): If the student has an advisor on file with the Registrar’s office, that person will already be listed underneath the Advisor field. Add names to either category by typing the name and then selecting from the list when found.
- If this is a Fellowship, enter the name into the field provided.
- Enter a message to the student in the Message to Student field; this will go on the notification email the student will receive. Enter any other notes that you want attached to this appointment on the Internal Comments field; these will not be visible to the student.
- Check or uncheck the people you wish to receive notification of this appointment. To notify others not already on the list, lookup their name using the Notify more people field (for internal MIT), or click Add external email address to enter an outside address to the list.
- Add an attachment to this appointment, if desired, by clicking the Browse button. Attachments can be one of 8 file types: doc, docx, xls, xlsx, png, jpg, txt, pdf; and must have a file name no longer than 60 characters. Note: Attachments cannot be added to historical appointments (appointments prior to June 1, 2017)
When finished with these options, click Continue.
- On the Review and Submit page, review all of the appointment data you have entered.
- If you need to make any changes, click the < edit appointment info link at the top of the page, then click the Edit button for the section(s) you need to correct. When finished, click accept (or cancel) to confirm (or discard) your changes, and continue with saving the appointment.
- If you don't need to make any changes (or once you have), click the Submit button at the bottom of the page. You will see a message confirming that the appointment was submitted and is either active, or pending approval, if it requires approval. See the Workflow table below for an overview of what may need approval.
- If you don’t wish to submit it now, click Save & Exit, and the appointment will be saved as a Draft in your My Appointments list. When you are ready to submit it, open it and complete any missing or incorrect information, and click Submit on the Review and Submit page as above.
Assessment value: Student’s assessed amounts for the term you selected, from MITSIS, with the exception of the Salary/Stipend, which is based on your department’s target salary rate. You may pay more or less than this amount.
Amount already awarded to student: Any awards/appointments the student has already received for the term.
Remaining amount: The amount that is available to enter for this appointment.
Appointment amount (for term): The values for this Appointment.
Total for this appointment: Totals for each item; these numbers may be affected by the Reasonable Compensation rule.
Because the stipend is entered by term rather than by month, and some values will not divide evenly by the number of months in the term, you may notice a discrepancy in the final total. This is due to rounding in the application. For example:
Stipend for term entered = $3000.00
Monthly stipend will be = $666.67 (3000 / 4.5 months)
Total Stipend column will display = $3000.02 (666.67 * 4.5 months)
|HR Payroll||PERNR not valid for dates of appointment|
|Retroactive change for a student who is currently an employee|
|Prior calendar year amount or percentage changes, or changes after deletion|
|Errors processing the appointment/distributions in SAP|
|OGE||Salary/stipend is greater than 15% above the standard rate|
|Reasonable compensation rule is waived|
|SFS||Student not eligible in current term, changes to prior term within same aid year|
|Eligible and on degree list in current term, total amount changed (tuition/ins/SLF)|
|Appointment created/changed/deleted prior to current term, or in prior aid year|
|VPF Sponsored||Change of amount for WBS more than 90 days past end of fiscal year quarter|
PowerFAIDS will receive a notification email if an appointment is created, changed or deleted from a previous aid year, although the appointment will not require their approval.
Note that the creation date for an appointment will be pending any approvals required; therefore, the submit date and create date may not be the same.
Back to GAP Main Page