On this page:
This article applies to members of the MIT community that are looking for a way to archive or backup all of their MIT email. This can be useful to make sure you always have a copy of messages in case you accidentally delete one or more or if you're leaving MIT and want to have an archive before your email account is deactivated.
- A desktop email client, such as Outlook, Apple Mail, or Mozilla Thunderbird.
- All MIT students, faculty and staff can download MS Office from the IS&T software download page: http://ist.mit.edu/software/available-software
- It is possible to use any desktop email client that is IMAP-capable in lieu of Microsoft Outlook. This can be useful if you're already using Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird, or if you are not a current student, faculty or staff member and are unable to download Microsoft Office.
- Know whether your MIT email account is on Exchange or Cyrus IMAP. Please see the following knowledge base article for more information: How do I tell if my email account is on Exchange or IMAP?
- Download MS Office
Visit the IS&T software download page and download Office 2013 / 2016 / 2019 if you're a Windows user (NOTE: the version of office you would use depends on the version of Windows you are running) or Office 2016 / 2019 for Mac if you're on an Apple computer.
- Install MS Office
Install the application per the instructions on those pages. If you're on a PC, be sure to completely extract the ZIP file to a new folder before trying to install Office.
- Setup Outlook.
To find out how to setup Outlook, you can follow the instructions below depending on what version of Office you are using:
- Download the latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird from Mozilla.
Apple Mail comes included in all modern versions of Mac OS X. It can be found in the Applications folder.
If you do not have your email set up in Apple Mail, you can follow the instructions below depending on the version of macOS you are running: (if you are not sure what version of the macOS you are running please see this article from Apple's Support Knowledge Base)
- Archive email with Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, & 2016 on Windows (Microsoft article)
- Archive email with Outlook 2011 on Mac OSX
- Archive email with Outlook 2011 & 2016 on Mac OSX (Microsoft article)
- Copy email to local folders with Apple Mail
- Copy email to local folders with Thunderbird or http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/x/MC1B
- Export Outlook data from one machine to another
- Export or back up information for Macintosh with Outlook
- Backup and restore information for Windows with Outlook
- Backup or archive all MIT email to Gmail