|Important information about installing the Java plug-in, required for Skillsoft|
Skillsoft, is a training portal available to all MIT faculty, staff and students. The site is similar to Lynda, but the focus is on learning resources for skills improvement and professional development.
Note: The use of skillsoft/skillport on tablets is not yet supported
- The MIT Skillsoft portal is licensed for unlimited use by MIT faculty, staff, students and affiliates with active kerberos accounts and MIT IDs. Affiliates are allowed to access Skillsoft without any special action needed. For those who may be transitioning from staff to affiliate status, as long as there is no interruption between the end of their staff appointment and the beginning of their affiliate status, there is no interruption in service.
- Skillsoft officially supports Safari only.
- IS&T has found good results for Firefox 17.0 ESR or Firefox 24 ESR. http://ist.mit.edu/firefox
- Google Chrome is not supported due to the fact that the Java plugin is 64-bit and Google Chrome is 32-bit.
- Skillsoft supports Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome
- In the browser you will be using to access Skillsoft, test your certificate
NOTE: Certificates must be installed for each web browser and on each computer.
- Navigate to http://web.mit.edu/certificates/test/
- Click Test my certificate
- Verify that you see your own name displayed.
- If you do not see your name displayed on the certificate test page, see information on obtaining an MIT certificate, and troubleshooting certificate issues
- In order to launch Skillsoft web-based trainings, pop-ups must be enabled.
- Instructions for enabling pop-ups
NOTE: Users should consult with their local IT support provider before installing or upgrading Java. Local applications may require specific Java versions.
- Clear the browser cache
- Clear the Java cache
- Close all browser windows and quit or exit the browser. Then relaunch the browser and access Skillsoft.
- Users who have applications that require a specific Java version, or users who do not have the administrator access needed for a Java upgrade may wish to access Skillsoft via Citrix.
- See: Getting Started with Citrix
- The above link includes instructions for obtaining a certificate in Internet Explorer on the Citrix server.
A certificate in Internet Explorer on each Citrix server is needed for Skillsoft access.
- Note that using Citrix may not be readily intuitive. Contact the IS&T Help Desk for assistance.
- Some web-based trainings in the Skillsoft portal may require Adobe Flash
- Learn more about browser plugin requirements for Skillsoft trainings